Damage Prevention-Safety Management Systems (DP-SMS)
Pursuing the industry-wide goal of zero incidents requires comprehensive, systematic use of Safety Management Systems (SMS). Pipeline and other energy companies, along with the regulatory community, have recognized the critical importance of SMS. Broad adoption of Damage Prevention-Safety Management Systems (DP-SMS), which are safety management systems specifically tailored for damage prevention, is a necessary ingredient to achieve that industry-wide goal of zero incidents.
DP-SMS emphasize safety management as a fundamental business process to be considered in the same manner as other aspects of business management.
The process of GSS membership starts with a gap analysis of current safety management systems for preventing damages (DP-SMS). Some companies may already have a complete safety management system for damage prevention, while others may need to build one from scratch. This gap analysis will identify any gaps that might exist. Whether a minor adjustment or a major overhaul is revealed by the gap analysis, GSS will assist in preparing a complete DP-SMS. Gold Shovel Standard always includes expert consulting at no additional costs.
To obtain Gold Shovel Standard Certification, an excavator must have a complete Damage Prevention-Safety Management System (DP-SMS). This includes:
- A leadership and management commitment to infrastructure damage prevention
- Requiring specific training for all workers on jobs with excavation
- Enforcing whistleblower and stop work responsibility for workers
- Maintaining a policy to adhere to specialized best practices of excavation operations
- Maintaining a policy to hire Gold Shovel Standard subcontractors with few exceptions
- Using thorough investigation and corrective action procedures
- Using specialized software to track and manage their operations to prevent damages
In the past, businesses often learned about potential risks by their occurrence. A quality DP-SMS reveals risks before they happen, giving businesses the opportunity to improve without catastrophic catalysts.