Pursuing a goal of zero damage incidents requires comprehensive, systematic use of Safety Management Systems (SMS). Pipeline and other energy companies, along with the regulatory community, have recognized its critical importance.
DP-SMS emphasize safety management as a fundamental business process to be considered in the same manner as other aspects of business management. A GSS gap analysis, complete with complimentary expert consulting, will prepare any stakeholder for the implementation of a DP-SMS.
To obtain Gold Shovel Standard Certification, an excavator must have a complete Damage Prevention-Safety Management System (DP-SMS), to include:
- Leadership and management commitment to infrastructure damage prevention
- Deploy required training for all positions involving excavation
- Enforce whistleblower and “stop work” responsibility for workers
- Enforce adherence to excavation best practices
- Hire Gold Shovel Standard subcontractors with few exceptions
- Using thorough investigation and corrective action
- Use specialized software to track and manage operations to prevent damages
A quality DP-SMS reveals risks before they happen, giving businesses the opportunity to improve before catastrophic strikes.